Smithstone is served by the Lincoln County School system. Click HERE to visit the School systems website.
Shopping and Convenience
Nearby towns of Denver, Cornelius, Huntersville and Moorseville provide everything you need, as well as everything you could possibly want. You’ll have great choices in restaurants, shops and entertainment.
- Waterside Crossing Shopping Center, located about four miles from Smithstone on Highway 16, offers many daily conveniences, such as a Harris Teeter grocery store, Blockbuster Video, Sports Page Restaurant, coffee shops, banks and several fast food restaurants.
- Wal-Mart Super Center and Lowe's Home Improvement Store on Highway 73 just West of the Highway 16 intersection.
- Open-air Birkdale Village in Huntersville is a quick trip down Highway 73. It offers a Barnes & Noble, Gap, Talbot’s, Banana Republic, Dick’s Sporting Goods, 16-screen movie theatre, an assortment of restaurants and more.
- Just a short distance from Smithstone on I-77 is Northlake Mall. It features more than 150 stores and a 15-screen movie theater.
Plus, the Charlotte area offers other great shopping venues at South Park, Carolina Place, Phillips Place, Concord Mills and more.
Health Care and Emergency Response
The recently opened East Lincoln Health Care Pavilion is located less than seven miles from Smithstone on Highway 16. The state-of-the-art facility provides family medical services, as well as pediatrics, orthopedics, therapeutic facilities and an imaging center.
Lincoln Medical Center in Lincolnton provides full service medical care. The New Beginnings Birthing Center, Heart Center (affiliated with Charlotte's Carolinas Medical Center) and inpatient and outpatient surgery centers are among the facilities. In recent years, Lincoln Medical Center has increased their staff to achieve a nurse-to-patient ratio better than the national average.
For emergency service, fire and emergency response stations are located nearby on Highway 16.
Arts, Culture and Entertainment
At Smithstone, you’ll have convenient access to explore the historic downtown areas of Mooresville and Davidson. And, the Davidson College activity calendar is chock-full of cultural and sports activities open to the public.
Nearby Charlotte offers a multitude of cultural venues, including:
- North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center
- McColl Center for Visual Art
- Mint Museum of Art and Mint Museum of Craft + Design
- Discovery Place Science Museum
- Afro-American Cultural Center
- Levine Museum of the New South
- Charlotte Museum of History
- Charlotte Symphony
And, ImaginOn in uptown Charlotte is the first of its kind in the country, combining the facilities of a children’s library with the Children’s Theatre of Charlotte.
Professional sports are never far away. Smithstone residents can enjoy:
- The NFL’s Carolina Panthers
- The NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats
- NASCAR action at Lowe’s Motor Speedway
- National Whitewater Rafting Center
- AAA Baseball’s Charlotte Knights
- East Coast Hockey League’s Charlotte Checkers
- The Wachovia Championship, an official PGA TOUR event at Quail Hollow Club
There are also other entertainment options, including:
- Carowinds Amusement Park
- Uptown Charlotte Arena (Charlotte Bobcats Arena)
- Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
- Cricket Arena
In addition to the community's amenities, Smithstone residents can enjoy:
- Latta Nature Preserve sits on the shores of Mountain Island Lake and is less than 20 miles from Smithstone. It features nature trails, equestrian paths, picnic areas and a playground on more than 1,000 acres. The Latta Equestrian Center offers riding lessons and horse shows.
- Lake Norman has a surface area of 32,510 acres, ideal for sailing, canoeing, water skiing and more. If you love fishing, you'll be right at home on Lake Norman. An enticing variety of species, blue catfish, carp, largemouth bass, perch, rainbow trout, walleye and yellow bullhead can be found throughout the lake.
- With a variety of lakeside trails, a 33-acre lake and areas for camping, picnicking and swimming, Lake Norman State Park is ideal for a family day trip.
- Several marinas around Lake Norman offer boat storage and launches, including Westport Marina Lake Norman Marina and The Boat Rack among others.
For more information on Charlotte, click here.